In Payday 2 C4 can make your life a lot easier! You can use it to open doors, safes, trucks or get more creative and interact with enemies. But how do you get C4 in Payday 2? This guide will tell you all about unlocking C4.
How to get C4:
You will need to follow the following steps to get C4 in Payday 2 .
Unlock Shaped Charge in the skill tree
You will need to be at least level 36 (42 skill points) to unlock the Shaped Charge skill. When you ace this skill your trip mines will be converted into C4. So skills that improve trip mines also apply to your shaped charges. Here is a list of all the skills that can be used with shaped charges:
- Basic: 2 trip mines are added to your inventory
- Ace: not available
- Basic: adds 1 more trip mine to your inventory
- Ace: decreases your trip mine deploy time by 20%
- Basic: allows you to turn the trip mines on or off
- Ace: upgrades your trip mines with a sensor mode
- Basic: deploy trip mines 20% faster
- Ace: not useful for shaped charges or trip mines
- Basic: the radius of trip mine explosions are increased by 30%
- Ace: special enemies marked by your trip mines take 15% more damage
- Basic: the radius of trip mine explosions are increased by an additional 70%
- Ace: you can now carry sentry guns and trip mines at the same time
- Basic: adds 3 more trip mines to your inventory
- Ace: trip mines can now be converted to shaped charges
Here are 3 examples of skill builds you can take when you reach level 36. You can choose to go for drill upgrades, unlock the sentry gun or go for weapon upgrades. In each build you will end up with a maximum of 6 shaped charges with a quick deploy time, a large explosion radius and sensor mode.
Don’t forget to select your shaped charges before a mission! You can select them in the equipment tab.
Using C4 and Trip Mines
To deploy C4 on an objective (door, gate, safe, truck, etc) look at the C4 logo and press and hold “F”. It will automatically explode after a couple of seconds. When multiple shaped charges are needed they will all explode after the last one is placed.
To deploy trip mines look at the location you want to place them and press and hold “G”. Your trip mine will have a red laser. When an enemy passes this laser it will explode. If you have the Combat Engineer skill you can interact with it by pressing “F”. When you have the basic skill unlocked you can turn the trip mine on or off. When the skill is aced you can turn it into a sensor. The laser will turn blue and on stealth heists it will make a sound and marks any enemy that passes. On loud heists it will only mark special enemies.
Utility of C4 :
Shaped charges are very useful:
- they can open trucks on Firestarter day 1 and Armored Transport Heists.
- they can open most safes (number of c4 required depends on the size of the safe).
- they can open most doors and gates which require lock-picking, a saw or a drill.
- they can be used to damage enemies.
- they can be used to detect enemies if the Combat Engineer skill is aced, also useful during stealth!
I hope you enjoyed this guide. If you have any questions, feel free to put them in the comments.